Help! My home has unlawful buildings

Oh no!  Not another one. It’s an all-too-common story.  The buyer signs a home contract, without first obtaining legal advice.  Prior to settlement he visits the Local Government (council) offices and makes the unpleasant discovery that some of the buildings don’t have approval.

As a general rule, most substantial renovations to homes require council approval before works commence.  However,  many properties in Western Australia have unapproved structures, such as patios, gazebos, sheds, garages, retaining walls, windows and even whole rooms, bathrooms and granny flats.

What’s the problem?

In general, councils have broad powers to require home owners to seek retrospective approval for unapproved structures. Approval may be time-consuming and expensive to obtain, particularly if reports from builders or engineers are required.  Refusal to grant retrospective approval (or approval subject to conditions) may leave the home owner responsible for expensive remedial work.

What are my rights?

As a buyer in this situation what should you do?

The short answer is – seek legal advice. As your independent settlement lawyers, contact us to book a consultation.

These situations are never simple. There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. However, we can make these general observations:

  • the standard-form contract used in WA, known as the Contract for Sale of Land or Strata Title by Offer and Acceptance, is of little help to buyers in this predicament;
  • many contracts contain specific clauses touching on the issue of council approvals.  The buyer’s rights in this situation will depend on the wording of the clause, the contract as a whole and the parties’ circumstances.

A better idea

Don’t put yourself in this situation in the first place.

Call in at the Local Government offices and inspect the building plans before you sign the contract. 

Simple advice, but almost universally unheeded, in our experience.


Related posts

The simplest pre-purchase enquiry a buyer can make about a property is to obtain copies of relevant documents (searches) from Landgate.  Landgate is the……
Like any good sales people, real estate agents work hard to build trust with buyers, and will often invest many hours in identifying properties……
The settlement industry is very competitive and you can save money by shopping around.  Some lawyers charge less than settlement agents….
Popular Posts
Our plain-English guide Buy your dream home without the drama has practical advice to help you complete the purchase of your new home.